||The Bonelli Family is known through its members settling in Utah
and Arizona. The family comes from Weingarten, Thurgau, Switzerland
where they are known by the name Bommeli (the name was changed in
Mormon records on the conversion of Hans George Bommeli).
George, with his second wife and two daughters, moved to Southern Nevada;
his son Johann Daniel followed three years later. Daniel was sent to the
Santa Clara Valley by Brigham Young. He eventually settled in Rioville,
Nevada at the junction of the Virgin and Colorado Rivers. One of Daniel's
sons, George, born in 1869, settled in Kingman and became a business success
with a general store, a jewelry and engraving business, and a meat market
|The Bonelli House sits across from the courthouse and next to
the civic center buildings. This view looks down the street from
||The house, the second built on the site (the original frame house
burned), was built in 1915. It is constructed of locally-quarried
tufa stone and the inner walls are covered with a fire resistant plaster.
The thick walls are good insulation and every room in the house has
access to a covered porch; providing excellent year-round thermal
control (on a really hot day one could sleep on the porch).
||Rooms in the house were large and a chimney in the center of the
house provided heat during the winter. The kitchen stove also provided
heat during the winter and through an interesting plumbing system
also heated water for the house.
The Bonelli House is owned by the City of Kingman and curated
by the Mohave County Historical Society. For tours contact the Mohave
Museum of History and Arts.
Comments? Please use the contact
Copyright © 2002
Tom Simondi, All Rights Reserved