This is a fairly easy "go with" for any number of dishes. With smaller
mushrooms this can also be used as an appetizer or finger-food snack (most recipes
use egg as a moistener but I use olive oil so it might be a bit oily for fingers).
- Mushrooms. Pick out well-formed mushrooms with a small to medium stem.
- Spices (I use garlic, Mrs. Dash, and Italian spice mix) and a bit of onion.
- Parmesan cheese, grated cheese (I use cheddar for a different taste), cracker
crumbs (I keep some on hand in a jar in the refrigerator).
- Olive oil (pick a good brand of extra virgin oil for taste)
- Clean the mushrooms (I wash them; some just rub them clean). Pop out the
stems to leave a nice clean cap. Set the caps aside in a lightly greased oven
pan (some oil will leak out while cooking so make certain the pan has sides
- Chop the stems and a bit of onion. Chop them fine.
- Using olive oil sauté the chopped mushroom stems and onion. Sauté until
- In a mixing bowl, mix up a generous amount of parmesan cheese, spices to
taste, the cheddar cheese, the sautéed stems and onion (along with the oil).
Add cracker crumbs and more oil until the mixture can be molded with your
hands and tends to stick together. You'll have to experiment a bit here to
find the exact mix. The key is getting it to stick together.
- Divide up the mixture and place it into each of the mushroom caps. Fill
each cap, pressing down to make certain the mixture fills all the nooks and
- Bake at 350-degrees for 30 minutes. You want to make certain everything
is hot clear through and the cheese melted. Serve hot.
- I'm going to have to completely redo this recipe to make it lower in fat.
- For a small number of stuffed mushrooms you can just as easily use a toaster
oven (as I did for this write-up) and save some energy.
- Many recipes use egg instead of olive oil as it enhances the binding of
- This is a fairly flexible recipe. Change the type of cheese; change the
spices; add some chopped ham or other meat. You just have to adjust the crumbs
and oil mix to get everything to hold together for stuffing.
Comments? Please use the contact
Copyright © 2002
Tom Simondi, All Rights Reserved